Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Victor Reader Stream, do you use it and why?

I was recently privileged to borrow a new Victor Reader Stream by HumanWare (http://www.humanware.com) from my Disability Services Coordinator. (Brent: Sorry if I butcher your new title. LOL)

I agreed to evaluate the device and provide training on it's use after being able to put the device through it's paces.

My intention here is two-fold:

1. A brief review of the device and it's pros/cons.
For those not familiar with the Victor Reader Stream, it is an E-book/audiobook playback device that supports a plethora of formats. The device will play recorded audiobooks in a multitude of formats, including mp3, ogg, m4a, and others. It will also play Daisy books and read almost any text format including txt, rtf, doc, and others. The Victor Reader will also play protected MLS (National Library Service) talking books, as well as play podcasts, mp3 music, and a few things I've forgotten.

The Victor Reader Stream also has the ability to record and store voice notes, making it a versatile little device.

I say "little", as it is about twice as thick as an iPhone4 and almost the same in other dimensions.

The device sports a rechargeable internal battery that delivers about 15hrs of use between chartings.

Storage is handled via SD card, and the device comes bundled with a 2GB card, which I recommend upgrading if you want to carry more than a few files around.

The Victor Reader Stream is surprisingly easy to learn and use. This was initially a concern when I first felt the configuration of buttons on the device, but the layout is very ergonomic and easy to master.

Overall, the Victor Reader Stream is a great little device, and, in this geeks opinion, worth every penny of its approx. $300 price tag. :)

2. My other reason for this post is to ask you, my readers what your thoughts are.

Do you own a Victor Reader Stream ?
If so, what do you like about it?

What could be improved?

What is your favorite feature?

If you did not like it, why not?

Are you considering getting one?

Please let me know if I can answer any questions about the device.

As always, you can comment here, or reach me on twitter (@rwnutjob, @TheBlindGeek)

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment